Ebchester is a small village in County Durham, with population about 1000, equidistant between Newcastle, Durham and Hexham. It lies beside the river Derwent on the site of the Roman fort Vindomora. The road through the village is believed to be the Roman road Dere Street linking Lanchester to Corbridge.
The buildings in the centre of the village, dating from 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, lie within a conservation area and were originally owned by Sherburn Hospital in Durham. These are surrounded by further buildings from the 19th and 20th centuries.
At one time, the river supported several mills, and later on, a flourishing rowing club.
Village activity at the present time is centred around the shop/Post Office, the Churches, the Community Centre and two pubs, the Chelmsford and the Derwent Walk Inn. There is also a village primary school. There are numerous public footpaths through the woods and fields around the village.
Excellent bus services link the village to Newcastle, Gateshead Metro Centre, Consett, Chopwell and Hexham.